Supra-gingival (above the gum) minimally-invasive dentistry provides healthier dental treatments for patients. Supra-gingival procedures apply modern advances in materials and dental techniques that are healthier for the patient’s teeth and gums, less painful because they are minimally-invasive and produce more beautiful results because more of the natural beauty of the original tooth structure is left to shine through.
By minimizing the amount of tooth drilled away and staying away from the gum:
- The patient maintains as much natural, healthy tooth structure as possible, which leads to better durability of the tooth itself.
- During the procedure, the dentist minimizes injury to tooth, pulp (nerve), and gums, leading to faster recovery and less pain.
- The restoration is kept above the gum as much as possible, which decreases chances of gum disease caused by subgingival margins and maintains healthier gums.
- The nerve of the tooth is much less traumatized, which often prevents the need for unnecessary root canal treatments.
- Overall, supra-gingival, minimally invasive dentistry is the healthier form of restorative dentistry.