Everyone is self-conscious about something. The impact it has on one’s life can be damaging. Unfortunately, for many people who wear dentures, the experience is often one of extreme self-consciousness.
In 2015, a US Oral Care Survey (Biting Into Denture Care) revealed the negative impact dentures (also called snap on teeth) have on self confidence for people who wear them. One surprising result of the survey was that 53% of respondents said they received their first set of dentures at the age 44 or even younger. So we are not just talking about the lost confidence of the elderly.
People who have worn dentures revealed these facts:
- Dentures are a social embarrassment
- 63% said they kept their dentures a secret from someone
- 32% have kept their dentures a secret from friends
- 10% have kept their dentures a secret from siblings
- 7% have kept their dentures a secret from their spouse
- 20% avoid smiling in social situations
Dentures have a negative impact on romance
- 42% of people surveyed said dentures have a negative impact on their love lives.
- 42% fear bad breath and worry about dentures dislodging
- 24% said they are afraid to kiss passionately
Dentures cause self-consciousness at work
- 38% of respondents said wearing dentures has affected their careers
- 37% said they feel intimidated to network with other professionals
- 33% said they lack confidence in meetings
- 23% said they have avoided going on job interviews
Dentures cause anxiety about food
- 54% of people surveyed said their number one concern is getting food caught in or under their dentures
- 50% avoid eating hard foods
- 50% avoid eating corn on the cob
- 34% avoid eating apples
- 33% avoid eating nuts
- 23% avoid eating steak
- 10% avoid social situations like eating at weddings or parties altogether
Research shows that up to 89% of people who wear dentures do not clean them correctly. And 78% of denture wearers believe they are keeping their dentures in excellent condition.
Dentures are not your only solution
At Sedation and Implant Dentistry of Tehachapi in Kern County, we know everyone is self-conscious about something. With the availability of All-On-4® dental implants, we don’t believe your teeth need to be the something you’re self-conscious about.
If you currently have dentures and are interested in regaining your confidence, give us a call at (661) 822-3727. We will be happy to talk to you about your options. At Sedation and Implant Dentistry of Tehachapi, we want to help you get your smile and self confidence back.